Lockdown and finishing UFOs

By Maureen Bromley

During what turned out to be the first lockdown, I decided, after working on various patchwork quilt tops (unfinished), general sewing, and knitting and crochet, that maybe I should maybe get some of the UFOs finished.  So I went through my workroom (not sure I could actually work in there as it could be considered a storeroom). I should finished one or two of the items started many years ago, which transpired to be during the 1970s.   I first thing I thought I should finish was an embroidered tablecloth, with the design preprinted on it, which was about two thirds done.  Over the period of the next few months I worked on it, then put it back in the bag, worked on other things and then finally in November I finished it.   It had one or two light stains on it which have more or less washed out and I am pleased to say we used it on the table on Christmas Day.   The tablecloth was bought for a table we had, but it does fit  the current table diagonally. 

I then found another tablecloth, this time it was pulled thread, a very soft evenweave fabric with a green and white stripe.   Again this was about two thirds done, so I worked on that, in between other things and finished it February this year. This was an original design by me and the notes and diagrams were still with it, along with all the threads.  But I did have to reduce the amount of stitchery on it as I wouldn’t have had enough thread.    This was started even earlier than the other tablecloth, possibly 1970, again it fits our current table diagonally.   It doesn’t photograph particularly well, or maybe my skills as a photographer are lacking, but the photo does give an idea of what it looks like.

Well, I think I was on a bit of a roll here as I found yet another old embroidery in the guise of a cushion cover.   No idea what the fabric is, it is quite narrow, about 24 inches wide with a selvedge each side.   The design is an embroidery transfer which I still have and it was probably about 90% stitched.  Why did I stop? Well I have no idea, but it is finished now and made up into a cushion.

I then had to decide what to do next.   There are several UFOs started on workshops when I was attending classes etc a few years ago, so I pulled out the first one which I had the threads and design with it.   This is a crewel work piece, using mixed threads and was probably about only 10% completed.  I am happy to say this is progressing well and I am enjoying it so I hope to be able to finish it now.    I think it is supposed to be a cushion cover, I may be overrun with cushions, but we will see.  After that there are at least another half dozen pieces to be done, so it may be some time before I start any new projects! Well, unless I am tempted that is!

Maureen B

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s