UFOs completed, Pugin the Peacock, and masterclasses undertaken.

Susan B.

I have been experimenting with vegetable dyeing. The cotton bags are the results of different batches of onion skin dye, with wax resist. The old T-shirt is avocado stone dye.
It is a pretty pink but I have not had time to judge whether it is a stable colour. The recipe was to carefully wash avocado stones and a cleaned avocado skin, black when ripe, not the green variety. Heat these slowly in a pan of water, or the resulting colour will be brown. Then the length of time dipped in the brew will affect the shade. Hang up to dry on a plastic hanger.

Susan has also completed her crosstitch based on work by Rachel Ruysch.

Sarah P Banner and Peacock Firescreen

Pugin the peacock:

I saw a beautiful glass peacock firescreen while out on a coach trip with our local ladies group. I loved it, but it was far too small and delicate for my fireplace, and very expensive. On the same trip, we saw an exhibition which included a group project, where everyone makes part of the picture in different techniques. It got me thinking that I could combine those two ideas. Apart from the peacock blue felt, he was made from various scraps. Each feather uses a different technique. It took a while to think of enough ideas, as the only stiffening I used was pelmet Vilene and dowelling. Many of the ideas I saw relied on the feather pointing downwards, which wouldn’t work. There’s knitting, patchwork, quilting, drawn thread work, crewel embroidery, ribbon weaving, needle lace, felting, machine embroidery, and even a bit of fair trade raffia.  You wouldn’t believe how many people have asked me why I don’t call him Penelope. Because he is a peacock. Ah.  

The banner:

My living room is the ground floor of a windmill. The previous owners decided they needed an extra bathroom on the top floor, so the pipes for that, and the central heating, meander untidily up the wall. Everyone said they needed boxing in, but we left it until all the work that might need access to those pipes had been done. Given that the inside of an industrial building from 1798 is far from smooth, the wall is curved, and it slopes inward at about 85 degrees, boxing it in sounds to me like an expensive job, which is never going to lie flat against the wall, and would look boring. So there must be a better way. This banner starts with a picture of the mill when it still had its sails, and then has a timeline showing local relevant events, and the names of the millers and the owners, as far as I have been able to trace them. Some of my dates are the nearest I have got so far, but when the scale is a decade to the width of a jelly roll strip, historical accuracy is a luxury. I filled the spaces on the timeline with relevant embroidery. The section at the bottom is a compromise. It looked silly with just the “raw” hessian, but I wasn’t going to put much effort into it, as it is mainly behind furniture. I filled it in with some windmill related machine patchwork with leftover strips, and some drawn thread work at the bottom. I liked the idea of using hessian, as this room was where the flour was put into the sacks (although not with this loosely woven Hobbycraft stuff!). 

Val W Folded Circles

These pieces are from an NEC Jenny Rayment Masterclass

Helen M Japanese Folded Patchwork

Helen made this for her sister’s Ruby Wedding Anniversary the reverse has a button closure, detailed in the slideshow below.

Hilary G “Quilting is keeping me sane”.

Hilary has sent in details of two quilts worked on during the pandemic. She has quilted sunflowers on the section below, “I appear to be obsessed with them at the moment”.

Muriel Milo’s Jumper

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s